Tuesday, August 7, 2012

INSPIRED: Invitation Designs for Twist Paper

As a part of my presentation at Stationery Academy, I challenged attendees to make a list of their top 10 most treasured items. These items could be a painting, piece of antique jewelry or their favorite tunic. Using these items as inspiration, designers needed to create invitations or stationery centered around elements of their favorite things. The end result? A collection of truly unique designs that are the best representation of their signature style. I put myself to that test every time I work on a collection for Twist Paper. Twist needs to be the best representation of me and my style so instead of looking for what other designers have created, I use my surroundings as inspiration. This is the best way to stay true to yourself without being jaded by others in the industry. It's funny to see trends come and go. While it is important to stay current and fresh, you need to create beautiful designs that are truly unique and stand out from a crowd. I designed chevron for Twist over 3 years ago because I really loved chevron and have for years. Now, chevron is everywhere you look. In the words of Whitney English Kolb, be a trendsetter, not a trend follower. 

Here are the inspirations for these popular Twist invitations - each one was created with something I love in mind. True to form, they have been very popular because they are unique and my signature style.


1 comment:

Beth Hart said...

Love this so much! Thank you for teaching us how to be authentic... you're such a good encourager! I better get to work on my homework!